Our history - The Square Palmerston North

First built by J.H Hankins in 1881, Fitzherbert Rowe have been delivering exceptional law services for over 140 years.

Known as Fitzherbert Rowe for over 30 years, below is the evolution of our business.

1881

J.H Hankins started the company ‘Fitzherbert Abraham’

1907

Hankins was joined in partnership by his son-in-law William “Budge” Fitzherbert, for whose family one of the main streets and a suburb of Palmerston North are named.

1988

Fitzherbert Abraham & Co was approached about joining forces with Rowe McBride, another strong Palmerston North law firm formed in 1950. From the resulting merger Fitzherbert Rowe was born.

1991

Fitzherbert Rowe Lawyers opened The Law Shop, situated on the corner of Victoria and Broadway Ave in Palmerston North. This is a complementary law practice specialising in residential conveyancing.

2017

Barltrop Graham (now known as Fitzherbert Rowe Feilding) merged its practice with that of Fitzherbert Rowe Lawyers. Based in Feilding, Barltrop Graham is a division of Fitzherbert Rowe Lawyers. The firm can trace its origins in Feilding back to the early 1900s, with the firms John Graham & Son, J.E. Barltrop & Son, and Fullerton-Smith & Miles.

2018

The Waipukurau office opened headed by resident partner Kirsty Kupa, continuing legal services to clients of John Harding (who retired from legal practice), and the firm’s existing Central Hawkes Bay clients.

2021

Lloyd Dodson Pringle was acquired by Fitzherbert Rowe Lawyers on 1 April 2021. Based in Dannevirke, Lloyd Dodson Pringle is a division of Fitzherbert Rowe Lawyers. The firm has been serving the local community for over a hundred years.